“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.” -John C. Crosby
What is FAWL in Love with GAL?
Every day a teenager ages out of foster care. Mentors can change their lives in as little as 20 minutes a month. Studies show teens with mentors achieve higher educational, economic and social outcomes.
You can be the person who helps and supports them during their journey toward independence.
The FAWL in Love with GAL project is a partnership between the Guardian ad Litem (GAL) Program and Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL) connects FAWL members with older youth in foster care. The FAWL member will mentor the youth as they transition into independence.
Interested in Becoming a FAWL in Love with GAL Mentor?
Forging Their Future Training
As part of the FAWL in Love with GAL project, the GAL Program provides a free CLE training for all participants. The courses are available on Free Florida CLE. The series is certified for 7 CLE credits, including 1 bias elimination credit and 2 ethics credits, and certification in Juvenile Law.
The training offered prepares volunteers to form a mentor-mentee relationship with these older youth, enabling them to develop professional and personal relationships with lawyers who will guide them not just the dependency system, but these critical years of their lives.
Forging Their Future Training Materials:
- Dependency Court, presented by Thomasina F. Moore, Director of Appeals and Pro Bono Initiatives for the Statewide Guardian ad Litem Office.
- The Ethics of Representing Best Interest: Florida Guardian ad Litem Multidisciplinary Model of Representation, Presented by Dennis Moore, General Counsel, Florida Statewide Guardian ad Litem Office, and Judge Daniel Dawson.
- Understanding Implicit Bias: Eliminating Bias, Presented by Calvin Martin, Statewide Director of Program Advocacy & Inclusion for the Statewide Guardian ad Litem Office. Learn more about Implicit Bias.
- Tough Being A Teen: Working with Adolescents, Presented by Laurie Blades, Florida Statewide Guardian ad Litem Office Director of Children’s Behavioral Health Advocacy. Learn more about Suicide Prevention Tips.
- Tougher Being a Foster Teen: How to Assist in the Journey to Independence, Presented by Laurie Blades, Florida Statewide Guardian ad Litem Office Director of Children’s Behavioral Health Advocacy. Learn more about ACE and Resilience.
- Mentoring 101, Presented by Sara Urban, Pro Bono Liaison for the Statewide Guardian ad Litem Office. Learn more about the Impact of Mentoring.