Winning Your Appeal at Trial
Join the Guardian ad Litem Program and the Pro Bono Committee of The Florida Bar’s Appellate Practice Section (APS) via GoToWebinar on January 13, 2021 from 12 to 5 P.M. EST for an informative, free CLE that will give you the trial-level tools you need to make sure your case is ready for any appeal. Our all-star cast features some of Florida’s finest appellate practitioners.
Over the five hour series, they will share their best practices and help you avoid common trial court pitfalls that can hamper a case once on appeal. You can attend the complete session or a single course as each course is individually accredited and approved for board certification in Appellate Practice, Criminal Appellate Law, and Juvenile Law.
Topics and speakers will include:
- Welcome 12:00 to 12:05 PM.
- Presented by Joseph Eagleton of Tampa.
- Evaluating Your Pro Bono Appeal 12:05 to 12:55 PM.
- Presented by Elaine Walter of Miami.
- Effective Uses of Memoranda of Law 1:00 to 1:25 PM.
- Presented by Jessie Harrell of Jacksonville.
- Preserving Constitutional and Statutory Challenges 1:30 to 1:55 PM.
- Presented by Thomasina F. Moore of Tallahassee.
- Preserving Error with Motions in Limine 2:05 to 2:30 PM.
- Presented by Joshua Spector of Miami.
- Contemporaneous Objections 2:35 to 3:25 PM.
- Co-presented by Mary Walter of Orlando and Amy Wessel of Fort Lauderdale.
- Offers of Proof 3:35 to 4:00 PM.
- Presented by Cornelius Demps of Tampa.
- Rehearing and Reconsideration 4:05 to 4:30 PM.
- Presented by Sarah Weitz of Fort Lauderdale.
- Client Communications 4:35 to 5:00 PM.
- Presented by Kimberly Jones of Tampa.
This CLE builds upon the GAL’s prior joint CLE series with the APS, “Appeals for the Pro Bono Practitioner.” That 6-hour series, featuring a different cast of appellate all-stars and providing useful information for attorneys of every level of appellate experience, is still available for free CLE credit on the GAL’s YouTube channel, Free Florida CLE.
Reserve your spot for the “Winning Your Appeal at Trial” CLE in advance of January 13, 2021, by clicking the registration button below. The CLE is free and available to all Florida attorneys, so please share this information with anyone who might be interested.