“Mentoring is a brain to pick,
an ear to listen, and a push
in the right direction.”
– John C. Crosby
What is FAWL in Love with GAL?
Every day a teenager ages out of foster care. Mentors can change their lives in as little as 20 minutes a month. In addition, studies show that teens with mentors achieve higher educational, economic, and social outcomes.
You can be the person who helps and supports them during their journey toward independence.
The FAWL in Love with GAL project is a partnership between the Florida Guardian ad Litem Office and the Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL), connecting FAWL members and other attorneys with older youth in foster care. The attorneys mentor the youth as they transition into independence.
Are you interested in becoming a FAWL in Love with GAL Mentor?
Forging Their Future Training
As part of the FAWL in Love with GAL project, the Florida Guardian ad Litem Office provides free CLE training for all participants. The courses are available on Free Florida CLE. The series is certified for six CLE credits, including two ethics credits, and certification in Juvenile Law.
The training prepares volunteers to form a mentor-mentee relationship with these older youth, enabling them to develop professional and personal relationships with lawyers who guide them through the dependency system and these critical years of their lives.
Forging Their Future Training Materials:
- Dependency Court, Presented by Thomasina F. Moore, Of Counsel with GrayRobinson.
- The Ethics of Representing Best Interest: Florida Guardian ad Litem Multidisciplinary Model of Representation, Presented by Dennis W. Moore, Interim Executive Director, Statewide Florida Guardian ad Litem Office, and Judge Daniel Dawson.
- Tough Being A Teen: Working with Adolescents, Presented by Laurie Blades, Statewide Florida Guardian ad Litem Office Director of Children’s Behavioral Health Advocacy. Learn more about Suicide Prevention Tips.
- Tougher Being a Foster Teen: How to Assist in the Journey to Independence, Presented by Laurie Blades, Statewide Florida Guardian ad Litem Office Director of Children’s Behavioral Health Advocacy. Learn more about ACE and Resilience.
- Mentoring 101, Presented by Sara Urban, Pro Bono Liaison for the Statewide Florida Guardian ad Litem Office. Learn more about the Impact of Mentoring.
How to Become a Mentor…….
If you are a Florida attorney or law student and want to join FAWL in Love with GAL, please complete the Pro Bono Inquiry form, and someone will contact you.
For more information, email email@example.com.